Maldives is an archipelago of 1,192 small islands scattered across the Indian Ocean. It is known for its tropical beauty, stunning beaches, and luxurious resorts. Whether you’re looking for a romantic getaway, a family vacation, or a solo adventure, Maldives is the perfect destination.
Here are some tips to make the most of your trip to Maldives:
- Plan your trip in advance. Consider the time of year and the type of activities that you want to do.
- Pack light. The heat and humidity can make carrying a bag full of stuff very uncomfortable. Choose lightweight clothes and pack only the essentials.
- Arrive early. The best way to get around Maldives is by boat, so it’s best to book a boat transfer in advance.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Wear a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect yourself from the sun’s rays.
- Stay hydrated. The heat and humidity can make you dehydrated quickly, so make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Try some water sports. Maldives has some of the best water sports in the world, including snorkeling, scuba diving, and kite surfing.
- Visit the local markets. The colorful markets of Maldives are a great place to find souvenirs and local products.
- Explore the islands. Each island is unique and has its own attractions. Take a boat tour or rent a kayak to explore the islands.
Now that you have some tips, here are some of the best sites and monuments to visit in Maldives:
- Kushimasthana Palace – an ancient palace located on the island of Maafushi that is a popular tourist destination. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/kushimasthana-palace)
- Maafushi Beach – the most popular beach on the island of Maafushi with white sand and clear blue waters. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/maafushi-beach)
- Sultan Park – a historic park in Malé that was once the site of the royal palace. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sultan-park)
- Utheemu Ganduvaru – a traditional palace located on the island of Utheemu that was once the home of Sultan Mohamed Thakurufaanu. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/utheemu-ganduvaru)
- National Museum – the largest and oldest museum in the country, located in Malé. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/national-museum)
- Hulhumalé – an artificial island built to provide housing and employment opportunities for the people of Maldives. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/hulhumale)
- Artificial Beach – a manmade beach located in Malé that is popular for its nightlife. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/artificial-beach)
- Grand Friday Mosque – the oldest and largest mosque in Malé, built in 1656. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/grand-friday-mosque)
- Bodu Hurraa – a UNESCO World Heritage Site located on the island of Utheemu, known for its traditional architecture. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/bodu-hurraa)
- Thila Falhu – an underwater coral garden located in the North Malé Atoll. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/thila-falhu)
- Biyadhoo Island Resort – an island resort located in the South Ari Atoll that offers a variety of activities and amenities. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/biyadhoo-island-resort)
- Maalhosmadulu Atoll – the largest atoll in the Maldives, known for its stunning coral reefs and marine life. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/maalhosmadulu-atoll)
- Utheemu Garden – a garden located on the island of Utheemu, known for its diverse flora and fauna. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/utheemu-garden)
- Villingili Island – an island located in the South Malé Atoll, known for its pristine beaches and lush vegetation. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/villingili-island)
- Alimatha Island – an island located in the Vaavu Atoll that is popular for its water sports activities. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/alimatha-island)
- Landaa Giraavaru – a luxury resort located in the Baa Atoll, known for its luxurious villas, spa, and restaurants. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/landaa-giraavaru)
- Thoddoo Island – an island located in the Alifu Dhaalu Atoll that is known for its local cuisine. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/thoddoo-island)
- Olhuveli Beach – a beach located in the South Male Atoll, known for its stunning views and white sand. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/olhuveli-beach)
- Banana Reef – an underwater reef located in the South Male Atoll, known for its colorful coral and diverse marine life. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/banana-reef)
- Manta Point – an underwater reef located in the South Ari Atoll, known for its large manta ray population. (https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/manta-point)
No matter what type of traveler you are, Maldives has something for everyone. With its stunning beaches and diverse attractions, Maldives is the perfect destination for your next vacation.