Traveling to Norway can be an amazing experience, and there are some tips to keep in mind to make your trip even more memorable.
First, be sure to plan ahead and book your hotels, flights, and activities in advance. This will help you avoid long lines and high prices. Additionally, it’s wise to research the area you’ll be visiting to make the most of your experience. It’s also important to dress in layers since the weather can change quickly.
If you’re visiting Norway, there are many amazing sites and monuments to explore. Here are 20 places to visit with descriptions and links for each:
- Bryggen in Bergen: This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a collection of colorful, wooden buildings that date back to the 14th century. (https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/716)
- Vigeland Sculpture Park: Located in Oslo, this sculpture park includes 212 bronze and granite sculptures created by Gustav Vigeland. (https://vigeland.museum.no/)
- Holmenkollen Ski Jump: This ski jump is located in Oslo and is one of the most iconic symbols of Norway. (http://www.holmenkollen.com/en/)
- Geirangerfjord: This stunning fjord is located in the Sunnmøre region and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Norway. (https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/fjord-norway/geirangerfjord/)
- Nidaros Cathedral: This cathedral is located in Trondheim and is the national sanctuary of Norway. (https://www.nidarosdomen.no/en)
- Preikestolen (Pulpit Rock): This massive rock formation is located in the Lysefjord and offers beautiful views of the fjord and surrounding mountains. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/preikestolen/2686/)
- Stave Churches: These wooden churches are some of the oldest buildings still standing in Norway. (https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/715/)
- Heddal Stave Church: Located in Notodden, this is the largest stave church in Norway. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/heddal-stave-church/20450/)
- Akershus Fortress: This medieval castle is located in Oslo and is one of the oldest and best preserved castles in Scandinavia. (https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=280597)
- Oslo Opera House: This modern opera house is located in the capital city and is home to the Norwegian National Opera and Ballet. (https://www.operaen.no/en/operaen/)
- Kristiansand Zoo and Amusement Park: Located in Kristiansand, this amusement park and zoo is one of the most popular attractions in Norway. (https://www.kristiansandzoo.no/en/)
- Bryggen Museum: This museum is located in Bergen and focuses on the history of the Hanseatic League. (https://www.museumvest.no/visit-us/bryggen-museum/)
- Viking Ship Museum: Located in Oslo, this museum houses three Viking ships that were found in the late 19th century. (https://www.khm.uio.no/english/)
- Tromsø Arctic Cathedral: This iconic church is located in Tromsø and is the most northern cathedral in the world. (https://www.visittromso.no/en/tromso/tromso-arctic-cathedral/)
- Stavanger Cathedral: This cathedral is located in Stavanger and is the oldest cathedral in Norway. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/stavanger-domkirke/904/)
- The North Cape: This is the northernmost point of mainland Europe and is a popular destination for tourists. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/north-cape/296/)
- Lysefjord: This fjord is located in southwestern Norway and is renowned for its stunning views. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/lysefjord/941/)
- Trondheim: Norway’s third-largest city, Trondheim is a cultural center with a variety of attractions. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/trondheim/1704/)
- Svalbard: This archipelago is located in the Arctic Ocean and is home to a variety of wildlife. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/svalbard/1590/)
- Atlantic Ocean Road: This road connects the islands of Averøy and Kristiansund and is one of the most scenic drives in Norway. (https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/atlantic-road/1153/)
With its stunning natural beauty, rich history, and unique culture, Norway is a great destination for anyone looking to explore a new place. By following these tips, you can make the most of your trip to Norway and have an unforgettable experience.