Traveling to Serbia is an exciting experience that should not be missed. With so many beautiful sites, monuments, and attractions to explore, Serbia is a great destination to add to your bucket list.
To make the most of your trip to Serbia, here are some top travel tips to help you plan a safe and enjoyable journey.
- Research the customs and culture of Serbia: Before visiting, it’s important to research the local customs and culture to ensure you are respectful of the unique traditions of Serbia.
- Have cash: Many places in Serbia do not accept credit cards, so make sure to bring enough cash for your trip.
- Learn some Serbian: Pick up a few words and phrases in Serbian so you can get around and communicate with locals.
- Bring a map: A map is always useful when you’re traveling, especially in Serbia where roads can be confusing.
- Stay connected: Make sure to purchase a local SIM card for your phone and keep your phone charged to stay connected on the go.
- Stay safe: Traveling in Serbia can be safe, but always remain aware of your surroundings and be sure to follow the advice of your local guide.
- Have a plan: Make sure to plan out your trip to ensure you don’t miss out on any of the must-see sites and attractions.
Now that you’ve got the basics covered, here is a list of 20 sites and monuments to visit in Serbia with a brief description of each.
- Belgrade Fortress: This medieval fortress is located in the heart of Belgrade and is a great place to explore Serbian history. (https://www.belgrade.travel/en/belgrade-fortress)
- Kalemegdan Park: This park is located in the heart of Belgrade and is an amazing place to take a stroll and take in the beautiful views. (http://www.beograd.rs/en/sightseeing/kalemegdan-park.37.html)
- Studenica Monastery: This 12th century monastery is one of Serbia’s most important monuments and is a must-see. (https://www.serbia.com/tourism/monasteries/studenica/)
- Church of Saint Sava: This beautiful church is one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world and is a popular tourist destination. (http://www.saintsava.org/en/)
- Petrovaradin Fortress: This fortress is located in Novi Sad and is a great place to explore the history of Serbia. (https://www.novisad.travel/en/petrovaradin-fortress)
- Gamzigrad-Romuliana: This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a must-see and a great place to explore the history of Serbia. (https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1135)
- Novi Sad Synagogue: This synagogue is the only one in Serbia and is a great place to experience the Jewish culture in Serbia. (https://www.novisad.travel/en/novi-sad-synagogue)
- Ada Ciganlija: This artificial island is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and other activities. (https://www.belgrade.travel/en/ada-ciganlija)
- Manasija Monastery: This 15th century monastery is a great place to explore Serbian culture and history. (https://serbianmonasteries.net/heritage/manasija-resava-monastery/)
- Fruška Gora National Park: This national park is a great place for hiking, biking, and exploring the nature of Serbia. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/fru%C5%A1ka-gora-national-park/)
- Đavolja Varoš: This strange and unique rock formation is an interesting place to explore. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/djavolja-varos/)
- Smederevo Fortress: This fortress is located in Smederevo and is a great place to explore Serbian history and culture. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/smederevo-fortress/)
- Nikolić Tower: This tower is located in the heart of Belgrade and is a great place to take in the views of the city. (http://www.srbijaturist.rs/en/destinacija/belgrade/nikolic-tower/)
- Church of St. George: This beautiful church is located in the heart of Belgrade and is a great place to explore Serbian culture and history. (https://www.tob.rs/en/objects/church-st-george)
- Zemun: This old town is a great place to explore the culture and history of Serbia and take in the beautiful views of the Danube. (https://www.zemun.rs/en/zemun)
- Golubac Fortress: This fortress is located on the Danube River and is a great place to explore the history of Serbia. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/golubac-fortress/)
- Uvac: This area is known for its stunning views as well as its rare species of griffon vulture. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/uvac/)
- Štrpce: This small city is a great place to explore the culture and history of Serbia. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/strpce/)
- Žiča Monastery: This monastery is a great place to explore Serbian history and culture. (https://www.serbia-tourism.org/en/zica-monastery/)
- Resavska Pećina: This cave is a great place to explore the natural wonders of Serbia. (http://www.visitresavica.com/en/resavska-pecina/)
With all these amazing sites and monuments to explore, Serbia is a great destination to add to your travel list. Follow these tips, and you’ll be sure to have a safe and enjoyable trip.