Suriname is a small, yet beautiful country located in South America. It is bordered by Guyana, Brazil, and the Atlantic Ocean and is known for its lush rainforests, stunning wildlife, and diverse culture. If you’re looking for an adventure, Suriname is the perfect place to explore!
Here are some essential tips for travel in Suriname:
- Purchase Travel Insurance: It is important to purchase travel insurance before traveling to Suriname. This will provide coverage in the event of an emergency or medical issues.
- Currency: The official currency of Suriname is the Surinamese dollar (SRD). Credit cards are accepted in most tourist areas, but it is best to have cash on hand as well.
- Language: The official language of Suriname is Dutch, although English is spoken in some areas.
- Vaccinations: It is important to get all necessary vaccinations before traveling to Suriname.
- Accommodations: Accommodations range from five-star hotels to budget-friendly hostels. It is best to research your options before booking.
- Transportation: The best way to get around Suriname is by car. There are also buses and taxis available.
- Weather: Suriname has a tropical climate. The hottest months are from December to April, while the cooler months are from June to September.
Now, let’s get to the fun part—exploring Suriname! Here’s a list of 20 sites and monuments to visit in Suriname:
- Paramaribo Central Market (https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/paramaribo-sur-sr-para-cent-mar.htm): This vibrant market is the perfect place to immerse yourself in the culture and buy souvenirs.
- Fort Zeelandia (https://www.britannica.com/place/Fort-Zeelandia): This impressive Dutch fort is located on the banks of the Suriname River.
- Brownsberg Nature Park (http://www.surinametourism.org/en/natural-parks/brownsberg-nature-park/): This nature park is home to stunning waterfalls, tropical plants, and diverse wildlife.
- Central Suriname Nature Reserve (https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/dec/27/central-suriname-nature-reserve-amazon-rainforest-wildlife-tour): This massive nature reserve is home to incredible wildlife, including monkeys, jaguars, and sloths.
- St Peter and Paul Cathedral (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/suriname/paramaribo/attractions/st-peter-and-paul-cathedral/a/poi-sig/457258/1329355): This stunning cathedral is a popular tourist attraction in Suriname.
- Jodensavanne (https://www.britannica.com/place/Jodensavanne): This is the site of a former Jewish settlement, and it is now a popular tourist destination.
- Neveh Shalom Synagogue (http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/neveh-shalom-synagogue-in-suriname): This synagogue is the oldest in the Americas and is a must-visit attraction.
- Galibi Nature Reserve (https://www.worldwildlife.org/ecoregions/nt0149): This nature reserve is home to some of the most stunning wildlife in Suriname, including turtles, manatees, and dolphins.
- The Palmentuin (https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/dec/27/palmentuin-paramaribo-suriname-pond-park-tropical-oasis): This tranquil park is home to a beautiful pond and features lush tropical plants.
- Onafhankelijkheidsplein (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/suriname/paramaribo/attractions/onafhankelijkheidsplein/a/poi-sig/1164122/1329355): This square is the heart of Paramaribo and is home to important monuments, such as the Presidential Palace.
- The Jewish Cultural Historical Museum (https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jewish-museum-in-suriname): This museum is dedicated to the history of the Jewish people in Suriname.
- St. Stephanuskerk (https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/paramaribo-sur-sr-st-stephanuskerk.htm): This church is considered to be the most beautiful in Suriname.
- Presidential Palace (https://www.britannica.com/place/Suriname/Government-and-society#ref273060): This impressive building is the official residence of the President of Suriname.
- Fort Nieuw Amsterdam (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/suriname/paramaribo/attractions/fort-nieuw-amsterdam/a/poi-sig/456833/1329355): This beautiful fort was constructed by the Dutch in 1667.
- Cascade Waterfall (https://www.paradizo.com/en/surinam/cascade-waterfall/): This stunning waterfall is a popular destination for hikers and explorers.
- Brokopondo Reservoir (https://www.britannica.com/place/Brokopondo-Reservoir): This is the largest reservoir in the world, and it is home to some of the most beautiful wildlife in Suriname.
- Central Suriname Nature Reserve (http://www.surinametourism.org/en/natural-parks/central-suriname-nature-reserve/): This massive nature reserve is home to stunning rainforest, an incredible array of wildlife, and some of the most beautiful waterfalls in Suriname.
- Galibi Nature Reserve (https://www.worldwildlife.org/ecoregions/nt0149): This nature reserve is a paradise for wildlife lovers and is home to some of the most stunning birds, reptiles, and mammals in Suriname.
- Brownsberg Nature Park (http://www.surinametourism.org/en/natural-parks/brownsberg-nature-park/): This nature park is home to stunning waterfalls, exotic plants, and diverse wildlife.
- Jodensavanne (https://www.britannica.com/place/Jodensavanne): This site is the former settlement of the Jews in Suriname and is now a popular tourist destination.
These are just a few of the many sites and monuments to explore in Suriname. With its lush rainforests, stunning wildlife, and diverse culture, Suriname is a beautiful place to explore. Be sure to follow these travel tips and take all necessary precautions to ensure a safe and enjoyable visit!