Togo is a small West African country that is home to stunning landscapes and a vibrant culture. If you’re planning a trip to Togo, here are some essential tips to help you make the most out of your vacation:
- Bring a valid passport and visa. As with any international travel, make sure you have a valid passport and visa before entering Togo.
- Get vaccinated. It’s important to get the necessary vaccinations before traveling to Togo.
- Dress conservatively. Togo is a very conservative country, so it’s important to dress modestly.
- Learn some French. French is the official language of Togo, so it’s helpful to learn a few phrases before you go.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Togo is generally considered safe, but it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions.
- Carry cash. Credit cards are accepted in some places, but it’s best to carry cash for transactions.
- Have adequate health insurance. Make sure you have adequate health insurance before traveling to Togo.
Now that you’ve got the basics out of the way, here’s a list of sites and monuments to visit during your trip:
- Koutammakou Landscape: This UNESCO World Heritage site is home to traditional Togolese architecture and stunning landscapes. (https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1243)
- Grand Marche: The Grand Marche in Lome is the largest market in Togo and a great place to experience the local culture and shop for souvenirs. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/lome/shopping/grand-marche-de-lome/a/poi-sho/1427220/357323)
- Fazao-Malfakassa National Park: Located in the central part of the country, this national park is home to an array of wild animals and birds. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fazao-Malfakassa_National_Park)
- Grand Popo Beach: A picturesque beach located on the Atlantic coast, Grand Popo is the perfect spot for a relaxing day. (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g317618-d2034195-Reviews-Grand_Popo_Beach-Grand_Popo_Atlantic_Coast.html)
- Monument de l’Independence: This monument in Lome commemorates Togo’s independence from France. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_de_l%27Independence)
- Akodessewa Fetish Market: Located in Lome, this market is the largest of its kind in West Africa, and it’s a great place to experience the unique culture of Togo. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/lome/attractions/akodessewa-fetish-market/a/poi-sig/1427927/355253)
- Cascade de Kpime: This stunning waterfall is located in the central region of Togo and is a popular spot for outdoor activities. (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g3160823-d1748902-Reviews-Cascade_de_Kpime-Kpime_Savanes_Region.html)
- Tamberma Villages: Located in the Atakora Mountains, these traditional earthen dwellings are a great place to experience the unique architecture of Togo. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/atakora-region/attractions/tamberma-villages/a/poi-sig/1427917/355229)
- Ananouvom Pyramid: Located near the border with Benin, this ancient pyramid is an important archaeological site. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananouvom_Pyramid)
- Mount Agou: The highest peak in Togo, Mount Agou stands at 986 meters and is a popular trekking destination. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/mount-agou/attractions/mount-agou/a/poi-sig/1427921/355240)
- Lomé Cathedral: This impressive cathedral in Lomé was built in the 1950s and is a popular tourist attraction. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lom%C3%A9_Cathedral)
- Lomé Grand Mosque: This beautiful mosque is the largest in Togo and a great place to experience the culture and religion of the country. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lom%C3%A9_Grand_Mosque)
- Oti-Keran National Park: Located in the north of the country, this national park is home to a variety of wildlife and an array of bird species. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oti-Keran_National_Park)
- Abomey Historical Museum: Located in the former capital of the Dahomey kingdom, this museum is a great place to learn about the history of Togo. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/abomey/attractions/abomey-historical-museum/a/poi-sig/1427909/355206)
- Togoville: Located on the banks of Lake Togo, this traditional village is a great place to experience the local culture. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/togoville/attractions/togoville/a/poi-sig/1427922/355244)
- Kloto-Toviko National Park: This national park is home to a variety of wildlife and is a popular spot for bird-watching. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kloto-Toviko_National_Park)
- Cascade de Togodo: This beautiful waterfall is located in the central region of Togo and is a great spot for a picnic. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/atakora-region/attractions/cascade-de-togodo/a/poi-sig/1427914/355223)
- Grand Marché des Féticheurs: This market in Lome is a great place to experience the unique culture of Togo and shop for souvenirs. (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/togo/lome/shopping/grand-marche-des-fetisheurs/a/poi-sho/1427222/357325)
- Sémé-Podji Wetlands: This wetland is home to a variety of bird species, making it a great spot for bird-watching. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9m%C3%A9-Podji_Wetlands)
- Palais des Congrès: This conference centre in Lome is a popular spot for events and concerts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lom%C3%A9_Palais_des_Congr%C3%A8s)
Togo is a beautiful country with a vibrant culture, and these tips and sites will help you make the most out of your trip. Bon voyage!