Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan and one of the most spectacular cities in Eastern Europe. With its blend of modern and historical, it’s a destination that’s sure to leave you with lasting memories. Here are some tips for your visit to Baku:
- Get your bearings: A great way to get acclimated to Baku is to take a city bus tour. See the sights of the city from the comfort of the bus and learn about the history and culture of the city.
- Stay safe: Make sure you carry a copy of your passport and other important documents with you, as well as a map of the city. Also be aware of your surroundings and don’t carry large amounts of cash with you.
- Travel light: To make your trip to Baku more comfortable, pack lightly. Bring only the essentials and leave room in your bags for souvenirs.
- Dress appropriately: Baku is a conservative city, so make sure you dress appropriately. Women should avoid wearing revealing clothing and men should avoid wearing shorts or tank tops.
- Explore the city: Baku has many historical sites, monuments and attractions to explore. Here are some of the must-see sites:
• Maiden Tower (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/maiden-tower): The Maiden Tower is a 12th-century monument located in the Old City of Baku. It is the most iconic and recognizable landmark in the city. Admission is free.
• Palace of the Shirvanshahs (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/palace-of-the-shirvanshahs): Located in the Old City of Baku, the Palace of the Shirvanshahs is a 15th-century palace complex. Admission is 3 manat.
• Heydar Aliyev Center (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/heydar-aliyev-center): The Heydar Aliyev Center is a modern architectural masterpiece designed by renowned architect Zaha Hadid. Admission is 5 manat.
• Flame Towers (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/flame-towers): The Flame Towers are three skyscrapers located in Baku’s city center. Admission is free.
• Baku Boulevard (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/baku-boulevard): Baku Boulevard is a promenade along the Caspian Sea. Admission is free.
• Ateshgah Fire Temple (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/ateshgah-fire-temple): The Ateshgah Fire Temple is a 17th-century Zoroastrian temple located in the outskirts of Baku. Admission is 5 manat.
• Old City of Baku (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/old-city-of-baku): The Old City of Baku is a walled city located in the center of modern Baku. Admission is free.
• Bibi-Heybat Mosque (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/bibi-heybat-mosque): The Bibi-Heybat Mosque is a 13th-century mosque located in the Old City of Baku. Admission is free.
• Azerbaijan National Carpet Museum (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/azerbaijan-national-carpet-museum): The Azerbaijan National Carpet Museum is dedicated to the traditional art of Azerbaijani carpet weaving. Admission is 5 manat.
• Heydar Aliyev Museum (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/heydar-aliyev-museum): The Heydar Aliyev Museum is dedicated to the life and legacy of the former president of Azerbaijan. Admission is 5 manat.
• Gobustan National Park (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/gobustan-national-park): Gobustan National Park is an archaeological site located in the outskirts of Baku. Admission is 5 manat.
• Nizami Museum of Azerbaijani Literature (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/nizami-museum-of-azerbaijani-literature): The Nizami Museum of Azerbaijani Literature is dedicated to the works of Azerbaijani poet Nizami Ganjavi. Admission is 5 manat.
• Upland Park (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/upland-park): Upland Park is a recreational park located in the center of Baku. Admission is free.
• Martyr’s Alley (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/martyrs-alley): Martyr’s Alley is a memorial dedicated to those who lost their lives during the struggle for Azerbaijani independence. Admission is free.
• Baku Funicular (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/baku-funicular): The Baku Funicular is a railway connecting the Old City of Baku to the modern city center. Admission is 3 manat.
• Yanardag (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/yanardag): Yanardag is an archaeological site located in the outskirts of Baku. Admission is 5 manat.
• Azerbaijan State Philharmonic (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/azerbaijan-state-philharmonic): The Azerbaijan State Philharmonic is the main concert hall in Baku. Admission is 5 manat.
• Azerbaijan State Museum of History (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/azerbaijan-state-museum-of-history): The Azerbaijan State Museum of History is dedicated to the history of Azerbaijan. Admission is 5 manat.
• Taza Pir Mosque (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/taza-pir-mosque): The Taza Pir Mosque is a 19th-century mosque located in the Old City of Baku. Admission is free.
• Baku Old City Walls (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/baku-old-city-walls): The Baku Old City Walls are the remnants of the walls that protected the Old City of Baku. Admission is free.
• Yanar Dag Fire Mountain (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/yanar-dag-fire-mountain): Yanar Dag Fire Mountain is a natural gas fire that has been burning for centuries. Admission is 5 manat.
• Baku Museum of Modern Art (https://www.azerbaijan.travel/en/azerbaijan-destinations/baku/baku-museum-of-modern-art): The Baku Museum of Modern Art is the main museum of modern art in the city. Admission is 3 manat.
• Take a city bus tour
• Visit the Maiden Tower
• Explore the Old City of Baku
• Visit the Flame Towers
• Visit the Bibi-Heybat Mosque
• Explore the Baku Boulevard
• Visit the Azerbaijan National Carpet Museum
• Visit the Heydar Aliyev Center
• Visit the Ateshgah Fire Temple
• Visit the Heydar Aliyev Museum
• Visit the Gobustan National Park
• Visit the Nizami Museum of Azerbaijani Literature
• Visit the Upland Park
• Visit the Martyr’s Alley
• Ride the Baku Funicular
• Visit the Yanardag
• Visit the Azerbaijan State Philharmonic
• Visit the Azerbaijan State Museum of History
• Visit the Taza Pir Mosque
• Visit the Baku Old City Walls
• Visit the Yanar Dag Fire Mountain
• Visit the Baku Museum of Modern Art
Enjoy your visit to Baku, a destination that’s sure to leave you with lasting memories.