This article provides a list of things to do in Chengdu, hotels in Chengdu and how to get around in Chengdu in 2 days on a budget.
Chengdu, capital of the Sichuan Province, get ready for those spicy hot pots! Best Chinese City for investments in 2007. China’s 4th most liveable city.
Here is a list of the things to do in Chengdu on a budget, for two days in Chengdu:
– Mao Statue – one of the tallest ones in the country
– Jinli historical district – great for night strolls and food stand lovers
– Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding – a personal favorite of mine, learn all about Giant Pandas
– Out of Chengdu:
- Giant Buddha in Leshan (by bus): world’s tallest carved sitting Buddha. Nice day getaway from the big city. Two hour bus ride each way, we were back in Chengdu by 8pm.
- From the Chengdu Xinanmen bus station, purchase your ticket to Leshan (departing every half hour though you may want to purchase it two hours ahead), from Leshan hop on a public bus (#13), next to the drop off area, to the Giant Buddha.
Cheap Hotels/ Where to Stay in Chengdu
We stayed at the Chengdu Traffic Inn – 100RMB per night, in March 2013, for a private room with en suite bathroom. Laundry is available for 20RMB per kg and they provide FB access for 1RMB for 10mins (FB, Google, YouTube and Twitter are not accessible in China unless you have a Virtual Private Network). The hotel is facing the Jin River, two minutes from the Anshun Bridge, though a bit far from the metro stations, it is conveniently located next to the bus station.
Other cheap options to consider:
– Chengdu Lazybones Backpacker Boutique Hostel – near the Mao Statue, close to boutiques and restaurants
Local Transport / Getting around in Chengdu
– From Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport:
- Shuttle available for 30RMB. Multiple stops in the city.
- Taxi: available though more expensive, we were quoted 200RMB to our Hostel
If you plan to visit China, check out our China section!