This article provides information on things to do in two days in Yangshuo, Guilin, and Longsheng, China on a budget.
If you travel to Southeast China, you must visit the Longji Rice Terraces of Longsheng and the city of Yangshuo, surrounded by stunningly beautiful karst mountains.
Here are some ideas on what to do in both cities, which are roughly 3hrs apart by road.
What to do in Yangshuo and Longsheng – Sights and Activities in Yangshuo and Longsheng
– Visit the Longji Rice Terraces – the rice terraces are about 600m above sea level. There is an entry fee of 80CNY (March 2013). A bus will take you from the ticketing office to the entrance of the rice terraces. From there you can hike through the terraces and even spend the night in the various hostels located towards the top of the rice fields. It should take you about a day to visit this spectacular area.
– Admire the karst mountains at night – we arrived in Yangshuo after the sun had gone down when the karst mountains are illuminated by colored lights. We were mesmerized by the sight. There are many rooftop bars in Yangshuo where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery. It is a sight you won’t forget.
– Browse Xi Jie (West Street) – Xi street is a well-known area for tourists, where you can find western as well as local cuisine. Many vendors have stands along the street where you can buy souvenirs and knick-knacks. The street is lively and filled with tourists – hold on to your belongings. Don’t forget to try Beer Fish, the staple dish of Yangshuo.
– Take a ride along the Li river on a bamboo raft – you can either bargain the price for a 1hr ride with a local boatman or schedule a tour with a group.
– Rent bicycles – another way to visit the small town of Yangshuo is to hop on a bicycle (available throughout the town and at many hostels) and discover on your own. You can also bike to Xinping and snap a picture of the view on the back of the 20CNY bill !
Where to Stay – Hotels in Yangshuo
Hotels in Xi Street – we stayed at 11 Hostel , highest rooftop in town, Off of West Street. 100 yuan (USD $15) for a double room, Wifi and hot shower. Plenty other reasonable options nearby.
Getting there and away – Local Transportation in Yangshuo
Bus Yangshuo to/from Guangzhou : there is no direct train from Guangzhou to Yangshuo and vice versa. Your best option is by bus, the ride takes about 7-8hrs. In Yangshuo, the bus station is walking distance, at the roundabound at the beginning of Xi street.
Bus Longsheng to Yangshuo – there is no direct public bus between the two, you have to take a bus to Guilin first and then head to Yangshuo and vice versa.
If you plan to visit China, check out our China section!
If you found this post useful, don’t forget to LIKE our Facebook page and FOLLOW us on Twitter!
Excellent advice. I did a trip very similar to what you outlined. If you can, I heartily recommend taking a bicycle ride around the countryside outside of the town as well as inside. Kayaking with a tour guide was also a lot of fun. Just don’t swim in the river unless the locals explicitly tell you its safe in that part!
Great suggestions Ciara! I wish we could have had enough time for these fun adventures,I guess we’ll have to go back 😉
Thanks for sharing and reading!